Quantcast

DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

vitor.rodrigues
Hello guys,

I have had a problem when I edit, submit, or delete an item. The process is very slow, it can take 3-5 minutes. There are no errors in dspace or tomcat log files.
Any suggestions?

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

Hilton Gibson-2
Hi Vitor

Cheers

hg

Hilton Gibson
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Room 1025D
Stellenbosch University
Private Bag X5036
Stellenbosch
7599
South Africa

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758

On 4 July 2014 14:46, vitor.rodrigues <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello guys,

I have had a problem when I edit, submit, or delete an item. The process is
very slow, it can take 3-5 minutes. There are no errors in dspace or tomcat
log files.
Any suggestions?

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

DouglasOkubo
How much memory is JAVA using?
--------------------------------
Provider IT - Neki Technologies
Developer
www.provider-it.com.br

I tried change java memory fot tomcat and other applications, i've changed log config.
But nothing change.

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

vitor.rodrigues
 tomcat7 in /etc/default
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx8192m -Xms4096m -XX:PermSize=4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=8192m"

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

Bram Luyten-3
Hi Vitor,

can you provide a few details about the size of your DSpace? Is this a completely empty DSpace? Or do you have a large number of items in there already?

Is this an upgrade from a previous version or a fresh install?

This could already eliminate a few possible causes.

best regards,

Bram

--
logo
Bram Luyten +1 202 684 6365

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM, vitor.rodrigues <[hidden email]> wrote:
 tomcat7 in /etc/default
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx8192m -Xms4096m -XX:PermSize=4096m
-XX:MaxPermSize=8192m"

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

vitor.rodrigues
Hi Bram,

It's a fresh install but 99.9% itens submited by batch csv, bitstrams added by dspace itemupdate command.
Dspace Details:
Dspace 4.1
Items: 75177
Bitstreams: 43007

Machine:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2665 0 @ 2.40GHz (Virtualized)
16GB Ram
Debian GNU/Linux 7.5 (wheezy)
java version "1.7.0_55"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.7) (7u55-2.4.7-1~deb7u1)
Server version: Apache Tomcat/7.0.52 (Debian)
Postgresql (9.1.13)

tomcat defaults:
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx8192m -Xms4096m -XX:PermSize=4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=8192m"

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

Bram Luyten-3
Hi Vitor,

thanks for this, a few followup questions:
- is fulltext indexing enabled for your bitstreams?
- when you are stating "I have had a problem when I edit, submit, or delete an item. The process is very slow, it can take 3-5 minutes.", does this mean that the web page for these actions keeps loading for a very long time, or are you referring to the fact that it may take a long time before any changes are reflected in your search/browse listings?

thanks,

Bram Luyten

--

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM, vitor.rodrigues <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bram,

It's a fresh install but 99.9% itens submited by batch csv, bitstrams added
by dspace itemupdate command.
Dspace Details:
Dspace 4.1
Items: 75177
Bitstreams: 43007

Machine:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2665 0 @ 2.40GHz (Virtualized)
16GB Ram
Debian GNU/Linux 7.5 (wheezy)
java version "1.7.0_55"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.7) (7u55-2.4.7-1~deb7u1)
Server version: Apache Tomcat/7.0.52 (Debian)
Postgresql (9.1.13)

tomcat defaults:
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx8192m -Xms4096m -XX:PermSize=4096m
-XX:MaxPermSize=8192m"

Vitor S. Rodrigues

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

Bill Tantzen
I have noticed similar response issues, and in fact I posed a similar
question some time ago.  The question I had refers to the code in
IndexEventConsumer.java at line 170 and 184.  The commit parameter in
the calls to indexContent() here (and only here) is set to true.
Since solrconfig.xml has autocommit set to true, why do we bother to
commit immediately (this can be slow)?  I have found that changing
this parameter to false drastically increases the speed of updates and
deletes.

I'd like to hear from any developers who had a hand in this particular
section of code...

Cheers!
Bill

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM, vitor.rodrigues
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bram,
>
> - is fulltext indexing enabled for your bitstreams?
> A: yes and media filter run every day  looking for new bitstreams.
> - when you are stating "I have had a problem when I edit, submit, or delete
> an item. The process is very slow, it can take 3-5 minutes.", does this mean
> that the web page for these actions keeps loading for a very long time, or
> are you referring to the fact that it may take a long time before any
> changes are reflected in your search/browse listings?
> A: The web page keeps loading (XMLUI and JSPUI), solr index doesn't update.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vitor S. Rodrigues

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

Bram Luyten-3
Hi,

we think we found the source of this problem and have proposed a solution:

best regards,

Bram

--

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Bram,
>
> - is fulltext indexing enabled for your bitstreams?
> A: yes and media filter run every day  looking for new bitstreams.
> - when you are stating "I have had a problem when I edit, submit, or delete
> an item. The process is very slow, it can take 3-5 minutes.", does this mean
> that the web page for these actions keeps loading for a very long time, or
> are you referring to the fact that it may take a long time before any
> changes are reflected in your search/browse listings?
> A: The web page keeps loading (XMLUI and JSPUI), solr index doesn't update.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vitor S. Rodrigues

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

vitor.rodrigues
Hi Bram,

DSpace is very fast now, just change dspace/solr/search/conf/solrconfig.xml like pull request: 566

i removed this line:
<str name="buildOnCommit">true</str>
and i added this one:
<str name="buildOnOptimize">true</str>

Thank you.

Re: DSpace 4.1 slow to submit/edit/delet item

Bram Luyten-3
Dear Vitor,

thank you for confirming that the fix worked for you.

best regards,

Bram