DSpace & PREMIS

Julie Seifert
Hello all,

I am looking for some more informaiton about DSpace and hoping you might be able to help. I'm working on a chapter for a book about PREMIS. The chapter is about software that supports PREMIS, and there is a section about DSpace. This section was written by someone else about a year ago, and I’m not certain that the information is up-to-date. I was hoping that you could review the text and let me know if I need to make any changes. The text is below. Thank you!

DSpace is open source repository software that can import and export PREMIS version 1.0 in METS XML. Beginning with version 1.7, DSpace can import and export AIPs in PREMIS in METS format, originally created to integrate with DuraCloud. Internally DSpace does not store metadata in the PREMIS format but when DSpace users export an AIP from DSpace, some of the internal metadata is translated into PREMIS technical metadata about the files in METS wrappers. Of the PREMIS elements only object is supported (not agent, event or rights).

DSpace uses a custom “PREMISCrosswalk” to read and generate PREMIS metadata. Although it isn’t packaged to be used independently from DSpace, the code is open and included in the DSpace codebase. Validation of the entire DSpace AIP (including PREMIS) occurs on export only by default, but can be configured to also validate on AIP import by using the “validate” configuration flag. Although there aren’t any explicit PREMIS-related enhancements planned, the maintainers say that they are open to this because they always looking for ways to make the software more preservation-friendly.

Re: DSpace & PREMIS

Tim Donohue
Administrator
Hi Julie,

That information is still accurate. DSpace really only uses PREMIS when importing/exporting from its AIP format.  The AIP format itself is described at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/DSpace+AIP+Format

The section on how it uses PREMIS is at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/DSpace+AIP+Format#DSpaceAIPFormat-PREMISSchema

There have not been any significant changes in the AIP format or how it utilizes PREMIS in recent years. But, it is still utilized by our AIP Backup & Restore tools:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

If you have other questions, feel free to let us know.

- Tim
--
Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect