Quantcast

DSpace database migration from Postgres to Oracle

DSpace database migration from Postgres to Oracle

Shaun B
Hello DSpace group.

We are wanting to move our repository from the Postgres database to an Oracle database, and would like some guidance for this process. We originally had DSpace 1.4.1 and wanted to do this migration, but waited for 1.4.2 as it was said this version had better Oracle support.

We would like to get an estimate of how long this process could take, and a general outline of the steps required.

At present our idea of this process is to take an SQL dump of the Postgres database and load this dump (with some steps in between?) into Oracle. It is the intermediate steps that we are unsure about. I have heard that we may need some tools, or make some changes to ensure everything loads into Oracle smoothly.

Also, we would like to know if any changes to the assets (assetstore) structure would be required?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards,
Shaun.

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.

Re: DSpace database migration from Postgres to Oracle

Horan, Gabrielle

Hi Shaun,

We are actually in the middle of this process and thought we had succeeded until it has come about that our ORACLE instance is setup with latin ISO8859 rather than UTF and believe this is why our import has not worked correctly for our eastern European characters. Everything else is fine. For the moment we have a mixture of western and eastern European characters and had no problem in Postgres.

We used Pentaho for the import (You can download this).

We did the following:

1. Create db using the database_schema.sql
2. Disable constraints
3. Import data (We used pentaho and can send you the import schema)
4. Enable constraints
5. reset seunces running script (updated version attached which drops and recreates the sequences and sets them correctly).
6. Move/Copy the assetstore under new DSPACE home directory, no change required.
7. remove null data from metadatavalue, itemsbytitle, itemsbyauthor
8. Run a modified installation of DPSACE which only installs front end and runs indexing on DB without any database setup etc. (modified build.xml attached)
  Watch out for already raised issue:
format the db.url like this in the dspace.cfg:
  db.url = jdbc:oracle:thin:@//host:port/dspace
  as opposed to the Install doc which lists:
  db.url = jdbc.oracle.thin:@//host:port/dspace

Hope this helps

Gabrielle Horan.

[...]

update-sequences-updated.sql (13K) Download Attachment
build.xml (24K) Download Attachment