Dspace backup.

rocky bang
Dear Team,

I have Dspace install on ubuntu 12.04.
i want to take full backup of Dspace to be safe at a time of system crash.
So that i can restore it to new server.

I have currently 2 TB data in assetstore directory.

plz assist me for the best back up process.

Re: Dspace backup.

helix84
Hi rocky,

there two general approaches; AIP is available only in newer versions of DSpace.

a) DB + assetstore + config + theme + customizations
b) AIP export

I generally recommend the a) option (pg_dump for Postgres backup +
copy the other mentioned directories on the file-system level).

Regards,
~~helix84

Re: Dspace backup.

Mark H. Wood
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 01:45:45PM +0100, helix84 wrote:
> Hi rocky,
>
> there two general approaches; AIP is available only in newer versions of DSpace.
>
> a) DB + assetstore + config + theme + customizations
> b) AIP export
>
> I generally recommend the a) option (pg_dump for Postgres backup +
> copy the other mentioned directories on the file-system level).

If you are doing regular system backups, then everything but the
database should be covered already.  If you decide to rely on that,
the simplest thing to do is just to pg_dump the database and leave the
dump in the filesystem, where it would be picked up by your system
backups.

Be sure to properly secure database backups, since they contain user
passwords.  The passwords are hashed, but why make life for the bad
guys any easier than we have to?  AIPs can also contain password
hashes and should likewise be secured.

There's no point in backing up the DBMS' own files (for example
/var/lib/postgresql/9.2/data/base/**) because there is no reason to
believe that a file-wise backup of these is consistent at any point in
time.  pg_dump will do this properly.  The backing-store files
(data/base/**) will consume backup media and time but aren't really
restorable.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [hidden email]
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Re: Dspace backup.

Hilton Gibson-2
For more info, this is how we do backups: http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Disaster_Recovery

On 20 November 2013 17:50, Mark H. Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 01:45:45PM +0100, helix84 wrote:
> Hi rocky,
>
> there two general approaches; AIP is available only in newer versions of DSpace.
>
> a) DB + assetstore + config + theme + customizations
> b) AIP export
>
> I generally recommend the a) option (pg_dump for Postgres backup +
> copy the other mentioned directories on the file-system level).

If you are doing regular system backups, then everything but the
database should be covered already.  If you decide to rely on that,
the simplest thing to do is just to pg_dump the database and leave the
dump in the filesystem, where it would be picked up by your system
backups.

Be sure to properly secure database backups, since they contain user
passwords.  The passwords are hashed, but why make life for the bad
guys any easier than we have to?  AIPs can also contain password
hashes and should likewise be secured.

There's no point in backing up the DBMS' own files (for example
/var/lib/postgresql/9.2/data/base/**) because there is no reason to
believe that a file-wise backup of these is consistent at any point in
time.  pg_dump will do this properly.  The backing-store files
(data/base/**) will consume backup media and time but aren't really
restorable.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [hidden email]
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Hilton Gibson
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Room 1025D
Stellenbosch University
Private Bag X5036
Stellenbosch
7599
South Africa

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758

Re: Dspace backup.

Tim Donohue
Administrator
Just a few more notes about our multiple backup/restoration options.

How you wish to backup DSpace may depend on what you want to be able to
easily restore/recovery.

So, as mentioned, there are two main routes towards backing up DSpace.
You can choose one or even both (depending on how "safe" you want your
content to be):

1) Normal backup of DB, Assetstore, configs, etc. - This is where you
essentially do a normal server backup (potentially with a database
dump). It's the better option if you are only concerned about doing a
full site restoration (if something gets corrupted, etc). But, it makes
it very difficult to restore individual Items/Collections (e.g. if you
accidentally deleted something, it's hard to restore just that thing you
deleted).

This normal DB & Assetstore backup process is somewhat documented here:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Storage+Layer

2) AIP Backup & Restore:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/AIP+Backup+and+Restore   This
is an option for actually backing up individual objects
(Items/Collections/Communities) as separate AIPs (Archival Information
Packages). It makes it easy to restore individual objects (e.g.
accidentally delete an Item or an entire Collection, now you can restore
just that object from its AIP backup). However, this option does NOT
backup things like configurations, themes or local code customizations.
So, you still need to back those up separately.

As you can see, there are pros & cons to either approach. Different
institutions use different approaches, and some even use both. It really
depends on your local needs and what you want to be able to
restore/recovery quickly.

- Tim