Quantcast

Duplicate items deposited via CRIS

joseph.greene

I wonder if anyone who has integrated their repository and Current Research Information System (CRIS) has dealt with the problem of duplicate items? In our case, we sometimes get the same article from 2 co-authors, or we might get an article that was uploaded prior to the integration. Do you have a process in place to detect these (especially when they may both be in different stages of the workflow)?

Kind regards,

Joseph Greene

Research Repository and Systems Librarian

James Joyce Library

University College Dublin

(353 0)1 716 7398

(353 0)1 716 7686

[hidden email]

http://www.ucd.ie/library

http://researchrepository.ucd.ie

Re: Duplicate items deposited via CRIS

helix84
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Joseph Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone who has integrated their repository and Current Research
> Information System (CRIS) has dealt with the problem of duplicate items? In
> our case, we sometimes get the same article from 2 co-authors, or we might
> get an article that was uploaded prior to the integration. Do you have a
> process in place to detect these (especially when they may both be in
> different stages of the workflow)?

Hi Joseph,

we are dealing with duplicities manually and I agree that's not ideal.
This question has been recently asked frequently and the fact is that
DSpace doesn't currently detect duplicities. I created this Jira issue
for the feature:

https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1523

It would help if you could add your definition of a duplicate item. In
your workflow, what metadata fields have to have the same values in
order to consider the two items duplicate?

Regards,
~~helix84

Re: Duplicate items deposited via CRIS

Richard Rodgers
Hi Joseph:

We have similar issues, and at least for content that possesses DOIs (as one would expect from a CRIS system),
we have instituted a simple curation task that checks for, and flags, possible duplicates (based on DOI identity)
as they enter workflow.

Let me know if this might help you, and I can share details

Richard R.

On Mar 21, 2013, at 8:48 AM, helix84 wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Joseph Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone who has integrated their repository and Current Research
>> Information System (CRIS) has dealt with the problem of duplicate items? In
>> our case, we sometimes get the same article from 2 co-authors, or we might
>> get an article that was uploaded prior to the integration. Do you have a
>> process in place to detect these (especially when they may both be in
>> different stages of the workflow)?
>
> Hi Joseph,
>
> we are dealing with duplicities manually and I agree that's not ideal.
> This question has been recently asked frequently and the fact is that
> DSpace doesn't currently detect duplicities. I created this Jira issue
> for the feature:
>
> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1523
>
> It would help if you could add your definition of a duplicate item. In
> your workflow, what metadata fields have to have the same values in
> order to consider the two items duplicate?
>
> Regards,
> ~~helix84
>
> Compulsory reading: DSpace Mailing List Etiquette

Re: Duplicate items deposited via CRIS

christian.scheible
Richard Rodgers wrote
We have similar issues, and at least for content that possesses DOIs (as one would expect from a CRIS system),
we have instituted a simple curation task that checks for, and flags, possible duplicates (based on DOI identity)
as they enter workflow.

Let me know if this might help you, and I can share details
Hi Richard,

we are planning to do a duplicate check for our repository as well. Is it possible that you share how you have solved this issue.
My plan was to create a curration task which checks for DOI and other ids and if there is no id the title will be used.
Then the curration task can be performed in a queue after submission is complete and the result has to be stored somewhere (didn't find a better solution than to store the result as metadata  field yet).

Regards
Christian