Export items from DSpace and import them into Fedora Commons

Export items from DSpace and import them into Fedora Commons

Alain Tschanz

Hello,

Can anybody tell me how to export items (what format?) from DSpace so that they are compatible with Fedora Commons?

Alain Tschanz

Re: Export items from DSpace and import them into Fedora Commons

Tim Donohue
Administrator
Hi Alain,

Currently, there is no direct/easy migration path from DSpace to Fedora
Commons. (Though this is an area that I think others would be interested
in, self included, if even just to share content across those two
repositories for various purposes.)

I do know there are institutions who have done such an export in the
past as part of a migration from DSpace to Fedora. Unfortunately I'm not
aware of any publicly available code to help you out (If anyone on this
list knows of any, please do let us know!)  Some examples I've found out
on the web include:

http://digitalcommons.macalester.edu/libtech_conf/2011/sessions/41/
http://lib.stanford.edu/files/pasig2009sf/pasig2009sf_columbia_rtc.pdf

Here's a few routes you could try:

(1) DSpace can export METS-based AIPs:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

Fedora Commons can import METS based packages. But, at this point in
time, I don't think anyone has written a Fedora import script for these
DSpace AIPs. If you went this route, I'm sure the Fedora team would be
interested in anything you built to ingest DSpace AIP content into
Fedora. (Heck, the DSpace team would also likely be interested in any
work done in this area -- especially if there are ways to more easily
move content between DSpace and Fedora in either/both directions.)

It's worth noting that DSpace Communities & Collections can also be
exported to AIPs.

(2) Fedora also supports SWORD protocol (http://www.swordapp.org), and
has an optional SWORD Server.  As of DSpace 1.8.x, DSpace has it's own
SWORD Client. This means that DSpace can submit Items via SWORD to an
existing SWORD Server (including Fedora).  However, at this point in
time, this functionality *only* works for Items.
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/SWORDv1+Client

There is also a recent thread on the SWORD tech mailing list
(sword-app-tech) where someone was asking questions about migrating
content from DSpace to Fedora (Islandora) via SWORD:
http://www.mail-archive.com/sword-app-tech@.../msg00159.html

(You could followup to that thread & even start a project to make this
moving of content easier -- again, this sort of work would be of
interest to the repository community in general!)

There may be some other routes as well. You may also wish to ask this
question on the Fedora Commons Users mailing list:

On that list, you may be more likely to find users who have migrated
from DSpace to Fedora in the past, and may have additional suggestions.

Good luck. Definitely let us know what you decide upon. I'd be
interested to hear how it goes!

- Tim