Quantcast

Mobile interface for DSpace

Tzoc Caniz, Elias
Hi all,

This summer, I'm interested in working on a 'basic' mobile prototype for
DSpace and got two questions:
1. is anyone working on a mobile interface already? -I've seen some
questions in the list, but so far no examples.
2. is there a way to have 2 themes (regular and mobile) working concurrently
for the same instance? -the current XMLUI setup seems to only allow one
theme at a time.

Thanks,

Elias
Digital Initiatives Librarian
Miami University
Oxford, OH

Re: Mobile interface for DSpace

helix84
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Tzoc Caniz, Elias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This summer, I'm interested in working on a 'basic' mobile prototype for
> DSpace and got two questions:
> 1. is anyone working on a mobile interface already? -I've seen some
> questions in the list, but so far no examples.

Hi Elias,

you may want to contact Jonathon to coordinate with him:

https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1017

> 2. is there a way to have 2 themes (regular and mobile) working concurrently
> for the same instance? -the current XMLUI setup seems to only allow one
> theme at a time.

One way is to specify theme per-request:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Manakin+theme+tutorial#Manakinthemetutorial-Dynamicallyswitchingoutthemes

Another way would be to create a copy of the XMLUI webapp configured
with a different theme.

Regards,
~~helix84

Re: Mobile interface for DSpace

Tim Donohue-3

Hi Elias,

A few other tips to add to helix84's good references..

On 5/30/2012 11:43 AM, helix84 wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Tzoc Caniz, Elias<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> This summer, I'm interested in working on a 'basic' mobile prototype for
>> DSpace and got two questions:
>> 1. is anyone working on a mobile interface already? -I've seen some
>> questions in the list, but so far no examples.

I'd agree that you might want to get in touch with Jonathon Scott to see
if he's still working on this, or if he's been unable to get back to
this work. You could always just add a comment to the already open JIRA
ticket:  https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1017

In general though, I think it'd be great for DSpace to have a mobile
interface. So, I'd also encourage you to submit your work back to the
community via a JIRA ticket (or by sending us a Pull Request via GitHub,
if you are using GitHub: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/)

More on sending a Pull Request and/or using DSpace + GitHub is at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+with+Git

But, if you don't want to dig into using GitHub, you are more than
welcome to submit any contribution via JIRA. Feel free to use whatever
is easiest for you.

> Hi Elias,
>
> you may want to contact Jonathon to coordinate with him:
>
> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1017
>
>> 2. is there a way to have 2 themes (regular and mobile) working concurrently
>> for the same instance? -the current XMLUI setup seems to only allow one
>> theme at a time.
>
> One way is to specify theme per-request:
> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Manakin+theme+tutorial#Manakinthemetutorial-Dynamicallyswitchingoutthemes
>
> Another way would be to create a copy of the XMLUI webapp configured
> with a different theme.

In terms of implementation, it may also be worth investigating whether
it'd be possible to just apply a different CSS for mobile devices (i.e.
maybe it could be the same theme, just a different CSS).  The various
Theme specific 'sitemap.xmap' files allow you to actually configure
which CSS file(s) to load based on the type of web browser. For,
example, see this section of the main "Reference" theme's sitemap.xmap:

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-webapp/src/main/webapp/themes/Reference/sitemap.xmap#L104

If you look closely, it loads different CSS files based on whether the
browser is IE6, a different version of IE, or some other (non-IE) browser.

Plus, it is possible to define new "types" of browsers (based on the
User Agent that the browser reports) in the primary XMLUI sitemap here:
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-webapp/src/main/webapp/sitemap.xmap#L145

I'll admit, I'm not sure if it'd be as easy as a new set of mobile CSS
files. But, it's worth investigating whether you can make DSpace more
mobile friendly just by tweaking CSS, rather than creating an entirely
separate theme.

If it does take an entirely separate theme, it may be possible to do
some sort of automated redirect for mobile browsers to that new mobile
theme. As helix84 linked to, there's a debugging flag
(xmlui.theme.allowoverrides flag in dspace.cfg) that could potentially
be used to dynamically change the theme.

Or, it may be possible to build a new config (named something like
"xmlui.theme.mobile = mobile-theme-name"), which when enabled will cause
DSpace to apply the configured mobile theme for any request coming from
a mobile-browser.

These are all just brainstorms. :) I think the first step would be to
start creating a mobile theme (obviously), and then we can help work on
ways to enable it for mobile browsers.

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions or brainstorm ideas as you
proceed -- either on this list or on the dspace-devel list.

- Tim

Re: Mobile interface for DSpace

Mark H. Wood
On having two themes for one location: you could look into extending
the ThemeMatcher to take into account the nature of the client device,
so that you could have two theme elements with the same 'pattern' or
'handle' but distinguished by the presence or absence of a 'mobile'
attribute.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [hidden email]
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.

Re: Mobile interface for DSpace

Tzoc Caniz, Elias
Hi all,

A 'first' mobile theme seems to be working on a local instance, I've added a
comment with some links in https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1017

We're in the process of testing it on a production machine, but we're having
some issues in deploying the 'mobile' folder -which is a copy of the 'xmlui'
webapps.

Anyway, feel free to test it on your mobile devices ... and feedback will be
more than needed :-)

Elias