Multiple handle prefixes - merged DSpace instances

Multiple handle prefixes - merged DSpace instances

Osama Alkadi-2
Hi all,

We are using DSpace 1.6.2 and trying to retain Handle resolving on exiting items after merging two DSpace instances into on repository. I have already got CNRI to update all the desired prefixes using the same sitebndl.zip package. Also updated the handle config.dct as follow:

"server_admins" = (
"300:0.NA/1885"
)

"replication_admins" = (
"300:0.NA/1885"
)

"max_session_time" = "86400000"
"this_server_id" = "1"
"max_auth_time" = "60000"
"backup_admins" = (
"300:0.NA/1885"
)

Now where do I include the second prefix number? do I also need to include it in the dspace.cfg?

Furthermore, while looking at Dsapce 1.6.2 handle plug-in implementation, I found this comment along this code:

 public boolean haveNA(byte[] theHandle) throws HandleException
    {

// This parameter allows the dspace handle server to be capable of having multiple
// name authorities assigned to it. So long as the handle table the alternative prefixes
// defined the dspace will answer for those handles prefixes. This is not ideal and only
// works if the dspace instances assumes control over all the items in a prefix, but it
// does allow the admin to merge together two previously separate dspace instances each
// with their own prefixes and have the one instance handle both prefixes. In this case
// all new handle would be given a unified prefix but all old handles would still be
// resolvable.

Can anyone shed any light on this feature?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Osama Alkadi

--
Osama Alkadi
System Developer

CRICOS Provider #00120C

Re: Multiple handle prefixes - merged DSpace instances

Timo Aalto
Hi Osama,

This is how it works for us (w/ five different prefixes)

"server_admins" = (
"300:0.NA/10138"
"300:0.NA/1975"
"300:0.NA/10224"
"300:0.NA/10250"
"300:0.NA/10227"
)

"replication_admins" = (
"300:0.NA/10138"
"300:0.NA/1975"
"300:0.NA/10224"
"300:0.NA/10250"
"300:0.NA/10227"
)

"max_session_time" = "86400000"
"this_server_id" = "1"
"max_auth_time" = "60000"
"backup_admins" = (
"300:0.NA/10138"
"300:0.NA/1975"
"300:0.NA/10224"
"300:0.NA/10250"
"300:0.NA/10227"
)

Also in dspace.cfg add a (undocumented) configuration key-value pair

handle.plugin.checknameauthority = false

and keep the handle.prefix value as the prefix you want to issue for new items.

Cheers,

2011/4/5 Osama Alkadi <[hidden email]>
[...]

Planning Officer
University of Helsinki Library