Timeout waiting for idle object Dspace 4.1

Timeout waiting for idle object Dspace 4.1

christian criollo

Hi everybody

the last month, our repository is presenting faults like that org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool error Timeout waiting for idle object,  I modified dspace.cfg the variables max connection to 100, but the system still the same, I watch that  sessions in tomcat increase obstinately, i dont know whats wrong , please if somebody can tell me what can i do to fix this error, thanks for the help.

Re: Timeout waiting for idle object Dspace 4.1

Alan Orth-2
Hello,

Is your repository public? It could be that you are getting lots of traffic from search bots or people harvesting via REST / OAI... this would definitely increase the load on the server and create more database connections.

Ciao,

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM christian criollo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everybody

the last month, our repository is presenting faults like that org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool error Timeout waiting for idle object,  I modified dspace.cfg the variables max connection to 100, but the system still the same, I watch that  sessions in tomcat increase obstinately, i dont know whats wrong , please if somebody can tell me what can i do to fix this error, thanks for the help.

Re: Timeout waiting for idle object Dspace 4.1

christian criollo
Hello Alan

yes the repository is public thanks for your answer

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM christian criollo <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Wtcdo9RHBgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">ccrio...@...> wrote:

Hi everybody

the last month, our repository is presenting faults like that org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool error Timeout waiting for idle object,  I modified dspace.cfg the variables max connection to 100, but the system still the same, I watch that  sessions in tomcat increase obstinately, i dont know whats wrong , please if somebody can tell me what can i do to fix this error, thanks for the help.

Alan Orth

Re: Timeout waiting for idle object Dspace 4.1

Alan Orth-2
Hello,

I've struggled with this in various forms over the seven years or so we've been running DSpace. High load on public servers can easily exhaust PostgreSQL connection slots. The easy answer is to increase the connection limits, but before that it's better to understand why the system load is increasing. Here are a few tips.

The easiest thing is to enable DSpace's XML sitemaps. Search engines like Google really hammer the repository as they crawl and click all sorts of dynamic links in the Browse and Discovery sidebar. Instead, you register your web property with Google Webmaster Tools and give them the path to your sitemap so they can get to each item directly without crawling haphazardly. Once you're sure Google is consuming your sitemap, you can block them from the dynamic pages in robots.txt. Here's the link on the wiki for DSpace 4:

Second, look at your web server access logs. You might see many requests from bots like Bing, Yandex, Google, Slurp, etc, and notice they will all becoming from different IP addresses—sometimes from five or ten concurrently! Another place you might see this is in the "Current Activity" tab in the DSpace Admin UI control panel. The problem with this is that each of these connections creates a new Tomcat session, which consumes precious memory, CPU, and other resources. You can enable a Crawler Session Manager Valve in your Tomcat config which will tell Tomcat to make all user agents matching a certain pattern use a single session. There are some notes from me in the comments here:

And finally, in the last link is a discussion about updating the DSpace defaults for PostgreSQL connections from a recently developers meeting.

I hope that helps. Cheers,