Upgrading DSpace database only from 1.5.2 to 3.1

Upgrading DSpace database only from 1.5.2 to 3.1

Barnes, Hugh
Hi

A third party provider has successfully followed the steps to upgrade our instance of dspace from 1.5.2 to 3.1 [1]. He did this as a dry run on a test server using a dump of the live database. It requires a little more testing before migrating the live instance.

When we do upgrade the live instance, we will want to retain changes to the live database since the dump was taken for the test upgrade. That is, our trial instance database will not be suitable, because the live database was not frozen. The database schema is changed in most version upgrades.

So basically, during downtime, we are going to need to bring the live database up to the current schema. What is the best way to do this?

Is it as straightforward (I won't say simple) as picking out all of the database schema upgrade SQL files from the incremental upgrade steps (e.g. Step 7 in [2]) and executing them in sequence? Will that "just work" with the file tree from our test upgrade?

It's PostgreSQL in case that makes any difference.

I know we could just try it, I'm just hoping to save some time if someone has done this before.

Cheers
____

[1] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Upgrading+a+DSpace+Installation
[2] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Upgrading+From+1.5.x+to+1.6.x

Hugh Barnes
Digital Access Coordinator
Library, Teaching and Learning
Lincoln University
Christchurch
New Zealand
p +64 3 321 8924 | f +64 3 325 2944

________________________________
P Please consider the environment before you print this email.
"The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential and/or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised use,
distribution, or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender
by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments from your system."

Re: Upgrading DSpace database only from 1.5.2 to 3.1

helix84
Hi Hugh,

the database upgrade steps are as easy as running an SQL file. The
only obvious thing that can go wrong is that you don't run them in the
correct sequence. I personally haven't ever encountered any problem
with this procedure.

So, with postgres, log in as your dspace user and run
psql dspacedbname < /path/to/database_schema_15-16.sql
psql dspacedbname < /path/to/database_schema_16-17.sql
psql dspacedbname < /path/to/database_schema_17-18.sql
psql dspacedbname < /path/to/database_schema_18-3.sql

Where dspacedbname is your dspace database name (usually "dspace").

You have to do that on a DSpace 1.5-format database, obviously, so do
a psql_dump of your production database, drop all tables in your
testing database, run psql dspacedbname < production_dump.sql, then do
the schema upgrade steps, then start DSpace 3.0 pointing to it.
Really, try it, it's very simple and you have to actually try it on
your testing server to gain the confidence.

The assetstore will work without changes with any DB schema version
(between 1.5 and 3 I'm certain of it).

I can't really think of anything that could go wrong, but if it does,
you can ask here.

Regards,
~~helix84