dSpace 6 and WCAG website accessibility

Melinda Isler

As a result of a complaint about website accessibility, my university has been required within our library to make sure that all of our public facing websites meet the ADA accessibility standard of WCAG 2.0 Level AA. We are currently running a dSpace 5 version and plan to migrate to version 6.    I’ve looked at some of the technical specifications on the dSpace site and I have been unable to find any reference to it.  Is that included?  Or are there ways in which other universities have modified it, in order to make it meet this requirement?

Melinda Isler

Re: dSpace 6 and WCAG website accessibility

Alan Z
Melinda,
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? We are looking at DSpace for a project that must be WCAG 2.0 (AA) compliant (apart from the fact that we want it to be). Does DSpace out of the box meet these requirements, or would we have to start modifying code to make it so? (That would be a non-starter, really.)
Thanks!
Alan

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 3:11:34 PM UTC-4, Melinda Isler wrote:

As a result of a complaint about website accessibility, my university has been required within our library to make sure that all of our public facing websites meet the ADA accessibility standard of WCAG 2.0 Level AA. We are currently running a dSpace 5 version and plan to migrate to version 6.    I’ve looked at some of the technical specifications on the dSpace site and I have been unable to find any reference to it.  Is that included?  Or are there ways in which other universities have modified it, in order to make it meet this requirement?

Melinda Isler

Re: dSpace 6 and WCAG website accessibility

Tim Donohue
Administrator
Hi Alan & Melinda,

(Looks like this question never was formally answered when Melinda asked it in Oct, sorry about that! Emails do sometimes slip through the cracks, and it's definitely always welcome to ask again, if the first time you don't get an answer.)

DSpace *does* strive to be WCAG (AA) compliant, and that compliance is listed on our code contribution guidelines: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Code+Contribution+Guidelines#CodeContributionGuidelines-ContributionChecklist

However, because DSpace is entirely developed by volunteers (we are a community built/maintained/supported open source project, there is no centralized development team), we depend on community members to report compliance issues to us as bugs. Any compliance issues reported will be treated as bugs, and we'll do our best to get them resolved (by locating an interested volunteer -- or you can send us the fix if you know it, and we'll work to get it in the next release!).

So, that's a long way of saying, I cannot guarantee that every release of DSpace is 100% compliant (but it should be mostly compliant). If you find issues please report them to us. Any institution who requires WCAG compliance should likely be checking your local compliance anyhow, as compliance also can be accidentally broken simply by changing your DSpace site's color scheme (if you don't have sufficient contrast, for example). Our ticketing system is at: https://jira.duraspace.org/projects/DS/ (If you need an account, email [hidden email], and we'll get an account created for you)

Hopefully that clarifies things,

Tim

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM Alan Z <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect
DuraSpace.org | DSpace.org | DSpaceDirect.org